Command History: Patrol Squadron 93
"Established in August 1976, Patron Squadron (VP-93) was based at the Naval Air Facility Detroit, Michigan and is under the operational control of Commander Reserve Patrol Wing Atlantic. VP-93 was the first squadron to be established in the entire patrol community since 1970. It was only fitting that it was given the designation of Patrol Squadron 93, a World War Two Squadron with a rich and proud history within Naval Aviation."
"The original VP-93 was established on 5 January 1942 in Norfolk, Virginia. It began flying PBY's in the North Atlantic. While deployed it provided convoy cover, bombing of enemy submarines, and conducted numerous heroic missions recovering downed allied aircrews. The squadron was redesignated VPB-126 in the middle of the war and was finally deestablished on 27 June 1945. "
"Since its establishment, the "Executioners" of VP-93 have achieved a record which adds to the luster of the original squadron. In 1978, the squadron was awarded the highly coveted CNO Safety Award for its outstanding safety program and enviable safety record."
"The past eighteen years of flight operations have ranged from assisting the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration, monitoring the environmental effects of the Campeche Oil Spill, assisting the President with his "war on drugs" in the Caribbean, flying joint military exercises with the NATO Forces in Canada, and tracking Soviet submarines throughout the Atlantic and Mediterranean theaters of operation, patrolling the Bosnian coast, and enforcing the blockade of Haiti."
"As the squadron got ready to close the hangar that housed Patrol Squadron 93, seven of the planes, were sent to a military resting place in Arizona and the eighth plane was sent to the Selfridge Museum. Patron Squadron 93--"the last of its breed in the Midwest"--was officially disestablished on Saturday, 17 September 1994."